So the past week I’ve been pretty broken, post exertional malaise kicking me up the arse gave me a reality check on what I am capable of as opposed to what I imagine I am capable of (although I intend to continue to push the boundaries just to be sure).
So, with aching joints, heavy limbs and intense fatigue I was limited to what I have been able to do ~ not enjoying boredom I googled silly fun facts and weird and wonderful just for the sake of it to find out what would turn up.
So, if you have nothing else better to do then pop your feet up with a cuppa and either some chocolate or biscuits ~ or if you live life in the “what the hell, fuck it lane” then have BOTH and enjoy the useless information I found out (although I haven’t checked it all to see if it is in actual fact true ~ but hey, it’s still interesting ~ no?)
- The Guinness World Record for time between twins being born is 87 days apart (I kid you not – read the article here).
- Pteronophobia is the fear of being tickled by feathers.
- You are born with 300 bones, by the time you are an adult you will have 206.
- Andorra, a tiny country between France & Spain, has the longest average lifespan: 83.49 years.
- Female kangaroos have three vaginas (how on earth do they cope?) True fact – read it here.
- Paraskevidekatriaphobia means fear of Friday the 13th, which occurs one to three times a year. The word “paraskevidekatriaphobia” was devised by Dr. Donald Dossey who told his patients that “when you learn to pronounce it, you’re cured!”
- Leading on from the above, Arnold Schonberg suffered from triskaidecphobia, the fear of the number 13. He died 13 minutes from midnight on Friday the 13th.
- It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it.
- We were told in our nursing days that your stomach when empty is approximately the size of a sausage but can expand up to 10 times it’s size. In adult humans, the stomach has a relaxed, near empty volume of about 45 to 75 milliliters. Because it is a distensible organ, it normally expands to hold about one litre of food. The stomach of a newborn human baby will only be able to retain about 30 milliliters.
- A normal raindrop falls at about 7 miles per hour.
- There is a World Championship Masurbator awarded to Masanobo Sato, who holds the record at 9 hours and 58 minutes.
- For every human on Earth there are 1.6 million ants. The total weight of all those ants, however, is about the same as all the humans.
- Popcorn was the first food cooked in a microwave. The second food was an egg, which exploded in the face of one of the experimenters.
- Flies jump backwards during take off.
- If you consistently fart for 6 years & 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
- To produce a single pound of honey, a single bee would have to visit 2 million flowers.
- A “gut feeling” is a chemical signal that your stomach creates to warn the brain of danger.
- The first soup was made from Hippopotamus, which dates back to 6000BC (noooooo!!!)
- Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.
- There is a glacier called “Blood Falls” in Antarctica that regularly pours out oxidised salty water which looks red, making it look like the ice is bleeding.
- For every ‘normal’ webpage, there are five porn pages.
- A “Jiffy” is the scientific name for 1/100th of a second.
- Research indicates that mosquito’s are attracted to people who have recently eaten banana’s ~ bugger, I love a banana me!
- During it’s lifetime an oyster changes its sex from male to female and back several times.
- During the first two years of a babies life, new parents will miss on average 6 months of sleep.
- A group of crows is called a “murder.” There are several different explanations for the origin of this term, mostly based on old folk tales and superstitions. For instance, there is a folktale that crows will gather and decide the capital fate of another crow.
- Dr. Seuss pronounced his name “soyce”.
- French kissing involves all 34 muscles of the face, whilst a pucker kiss only uses 2.
- If you eat too many carrots the beta carotene found in them will turn you slightly orange ~ this actually happened to my niece as my sister made her lots of home-made purree foods for her using carrots and orange veggies ~ in my opinion she wasn’t just slightly orange but looked as if she had been tangoed!
- Your tongue is the only muscle in your body attached at only one end.
- There are approximately 100 million acts of sexual intercourse each day.
- A womans brain shrinks during pregnancy and takes up to six months to regain it’s full size. (seriously I don’t think mine regained it’s full size after my last pregnancy!).
Well, I hope that helped you pass away a few minutes whilst you slurped your way through a cuppa and munched and dunked your biccies and chocolates?
Big loves to all and hopes that if you are having a bad day that tomorrow is better for you ~ onwards and upwards for me I hope. Tomorrow I am daring to go and throw myself into our lovely local pool which is small and very warm and have a spot of hydrotherapy with middle born child. Hoping it will ease the muscles and soothe my poor aching body. However, before then I will have to dig out the old epilator and start mowing the body hair ~ don’t want to scare anyone!